Posted by: Emily
Just a few updates/thoughts I want to share with you. Small things– nothing big enough to warrant its own post, nothing that will change your life, but I hope the following tidbits are somehow useful!
- Sunscreen hurts my eyes: I’ve posted about how I like Lavanila’s Healthy Sun Screen. And I still do. But I must confess, I’d only used it on my arms and decolletage at that point, and now, having used it on my face, I have to tell you it stings a lot when it gets in my eyes! I think that’s true for most sunscreens– natural or not– but worth noting. So far, the one sun screen that does NOT sting my eyes is Juice Beauty‘s SPF 30 Mineral Moisturizer. I have the tinted one in Medium, and Jordan uses the sheer, non-tinted. So far, so good.
- Sometimes shampoo smells bad: I’ve been using Whole Food’s 365 brand shampoo and conditioner for about 6 months now. I had the Lavender-scented one up till recently, when I decided I wanted something I could scent myself with essential oils. Since I’m lazy and never got around to that, I was prepared to enjoy going sans scent for a while. But I can’t. BECAUSE THE 365 BRAND SHAMPOO SMELLS LIKE BURNT BACON AND GASOLINE! Seriously! I have tried it several different times, thinking I was wrong, or overly-sensitive or something. But no. BURNT BACON AND GASOLINE! Now, how does a nice, Jewish girl know what burnt bacon smells like? I have no idea– it’s how I imagine it might be. I can’t even give it to Jordan’s husband, who loves bacon, because a) no matter how much you like bacon, would you want your hair to smell like it?, b) burnt bacon is no good, and c) it’s mixed with the noxious smell of gasoline! I used to love the smell of gasoline as a kid, but this is no good. And again, loving something doesn’t mean you want your hair to smell like it!
- P.S. The 365 brand unscented conditioner smells great! Or, rather, like not much at all. Certainly not like burnt bacon and gasoline.
- Dr. Bronner’s rules!: I am totally converted to Dr.Bronner’s Magic Pure Castile Soap. I use it as hand soap, shower gel, and floor mopping solution. Absolutely LOVE it!
- Follow up on Hair Gel: I did, in fact, buy and try John Masters Organics Sweet Orange & Silk Protein Styling Gel, as I wrote about wanting in a Have/Love/Want column. It’s wonderful, except sometimes it dries a little crunchy and not quite clear, which resulted in me thinking I’d gotten my first gray hair! Which I haven’t! <sigh of relief!> Otherwise, it’s a wonderful gel.
- As I’d hoped: I think Zoya nail polish is every bit as good as regular, chemical-filled nail polishes. I am so happy I switched over! Wears just like any other polish– goes on the same, dries the same, chips the same. No worse, no better, but no chemicals!
- Coming soon: It was not just a passing fancy– I am still really loving Vapour Organics. I will be posting more about their products very soon!