Posted by: Emily
Lately, several friends and readers have asked me, “so, what products do you REALLY use?” One even suggested we post a picture or description of what is in our medicine cabinets. I think that’s a great idea, but since I just moved, you’ll have to wait for my picture till I’m a little more unpacked and organized!
But the question remains a good one: what do we really use? We write about a lot of products we try, some we love, and a few we’re not that crazy about or that we deem not natural enough for us. But what are our daily “musts”? I got a unique opportunity recently to discover the answer to this question: I moved.
This process made me really think about what I need on a daily basis– not just things I like to use occasionally or things I’ve tried recently and like enough to throw in to my rotation, but what are the things I cannot live without? These are the products that went into my “carry-on” bag, the small suitcase I took with me in the cab from my old apartment to my new place. And there were a few more things that went in a last-packed first-unpacked “immediate” box I sent reluctantly with the movers, because I couldn’t carry it all. I am, after all, a product junkie!
I would like to share with you all the things that are in my daily routine. Keep in mind that this list changes periodically as I try and love new products, but this list has been consistent for several months now, and these are all things I just love. In order of use:
- I wake up, splash my face with water, and moisturize with a mix of: 2 pumps of 100% Pure Fruit Pigmented Tinted Moisturizer in Peach Bisque, with a dab of Weleda Almond Soothing Facial Cream for extra moisture in this dry, winter weather.
- I use Tom’s of Maine Antiplaque & Whitening toothpaste, without Flouride these days, and my fave flavor is peppermint, but they’re all pretty good.
- For make-up I use Bare Minerals Matte Foundation in Fairly Light (because I find these shades run dark, so use a lighter shade than you think you need!!), 100% Pure Fruit Pigment Mimosa Blush, and Bare Minerals 100% Natural Lip Color in Bronze (I have this whole trio and love it). I also use mascara, which I am not going to talk about right now, because it’s not totally natural– I need waterproof!! I’m not perfect, I’m only human. I’m working on it… 🙂
- When I wash my hands, as I do constantly now because I’m pregnant and it’s flu season, I’m using Kiss My Face self-foaming Peace Soap in Grassy Mint or Pomegranate Acai…
- … after which I moisturize my hands with Weleda Skin Food. My favorite!
- I constantly apply and re-apply Vapour Organic Beauty’s Siren Lip Adore in Joy— a clear, sheer, sparkly lip balm/shine. It moisturizes and give me a polished look. I just, well, ADORE it!
- At night, after yoga and before bed, I shower, and use Dr. Bronner’s Baby Mild Organic Bar Soap, and Lavender Liquid soap. I love Weleda’s Sea Buckthorn Creamy Body Wash.
- In the shower, I wash my face with Juice Beauty’s Organic Facial Wash— one of my new favorite things– more thorough review to follow soon, I promise. Sometimes I take off the aforementioned unmentionable mascara with Melvita Eye Makeup Remover. Sometimes I just let the Organic Facial Wash do the trick on its own– it does very well.
- Body moisturizer is constantly changing. The mainstays are Weleda Skin Food, all-natural Almond Oil, pure Shea Butter or Cocoa Butter, and other Weleda body lotions (Sea Buckthorn and Mallow are favorites). See my Video Blog for more details on body lotions.
- Night moisturizer for the face is incredibly important, of course. My favorite facial moisturizer is and has always been Weleda Almond Soothing Facial Cream, but in the coldest winter months, I have been substituting or combining it with Weleda’s Cold Cream (formerly Everon Facial Balm), which is like Skin Food for your face.
I also use Argan oil constantly (I try all different brands, as long as it’s 100% organic pure Argan Oil)– I mix it in to make moisturizers richer and use it as eye makeup remover sometimes, or as a moisturizer on its own. It’s absolutely indispensable.
Wow. That’s a lot of must-have products for one person! But I’m a self-proclaimed Junkie, so what did you expect?!
Also must plug one more “product” I can not live without. I have only owned it for about 2 days, but I am OBSESSED!
It is a Tube-Wringer, which crimps the ends of metal product tubes, like the ones Weleda products are in, and allows you to get 35% more of your products out of the tubes!! I have wrung every tube I own! I can’t wait to use more toothpaste so I can wring the tube again! It is SO fun. I purchased this tube-wringer at the Weleda Spa and Store this weekend, when Jordan and I were there, which was a divine experience– we will definitely write more about it soon– stay tuned!
In the comments, tell us what product(s) are in your “carry-on bag” of life– what can you not live without?